Canada Income

Vote for Canada Income

I have a retired Canadaian that received old age income form NR4-OAS. My question should I added that income to his Social Security Income he receives in the US?

He also received pension from Canada NR4. I know the form to use for that is 8891 for Canada pension. 

Confuss to where to put old age income. Can someone please help. This was not in the study material.

Expert Level Question
Please login or register to comment on a question.

1 Answer(s)

Vote for this anser to Canada Income

Hi Phylicia, 

Canadian & U.S. Tax Issues

Question:   Are the Canada Pension Plan and Canadian Old Age Security Benefits taxable? If they are, please tell me where they should be entered on Form 1040.

Answer:   Benefits paid under the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Quebec Pension Plan (QPP), and Old Age Security (OAS) program:

If the recipient is a resident of the United States—

are taxable only in the United States if the recipient is a resident of the United States,

are treated as U.S. social security benefits for U.S. tax purposes, and

are reported on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or Form 1040A  on the line on which U.S. social security benefits would be reported.

If the recipient is a U.S. citizen or green card holder who is a resident of Canada are taxable only in Canada. 

Hope this will be helpful.


Report the question for review or moderation

To the extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this communication, including in any attachments, it was not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding any tax related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the Internal Revenue Code, or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.

The Best Strategy

CPA Exam Guide + Test Bank + Unlimited Exams
CPA AUD, FAR, REG, & BEC Study Guides, Free Test Bank, & Unlimited Practice Exams

Want to pass the CPA exam the first time? Try a course like no other...

Enrolled Agent Affliated Schools